Sunday 26 April 2009

...goodbye, my friend


Sea Fever
By John Masefield


I must down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied.
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again to the vagrant gypsy life.
To the gull's way and the whale's way
where the wind's like a whetted knife.
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.




In memory of G. L. Emsley
1929 -2009

A sweeter and funnier man I have never met

.

3 Comments:

At 27 April 2009 at 09:50 , Blogger Catastrophe Waitress said...

gosh that was a lovely bit of poetry. it made me come over all teary and hormonal.

 
At 27 April 2009 at 23:12 , Blogger Terence McDanger said...

Nice work there, hope there hasn't been a bereavement in the family?

 
At 18 May 2009 at 16:17 , Blogger Cinema Minima said...

My (step) father-in-law and current landlord. It was expected, but still so sad.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home