Friday 13 February 2009

...trivialities


My laptop died last weekend.

Blogging will suffer.

And I have to try to fix it just to save some precious photos, otherwise it's a piece of shit not worth fixing. And I'm spending all next week in a hotel in a dead-boring, land-locked town in NSW, computerless (unless they have an internet cafe from where I can connect with the outside world).

I'm starting to get used to life without a computer being at arms length though. I'm rediscovering the joys of reading the printed word. I've got to read something more contemporary though. I'm thoroughly enjoying my Captain Cook biography, but my wife is teasing me for being such a nerd.

I may even do some writing, with a pen and paper, like I used to do back in the 1980's.

They're some pretty nice problems to have though, compared with the problems thousands of other Victorians are having at the moment. I can't write much more about it now. It's all been said a million times already. Though I did see some mind-blowing fire footage on the 7:30 report last night. A bloke in the mountains was home alone and had a fire shelter, so he stayed on his balcony until the last moment filiming the fire as it charged over the hill and swept through his property. Walls of flame 50m high at least. Pretty hairy stuff.


Have a great few weeks everyone, and I'll be keeping an eye on you all from afar.... that is, if the internet has made it Muswellbrook yet. Wish me luck.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 13 February 2009 at 12:17 , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

My fingers and toes will be crossed. My laptop was AWOL last year for three weeks and I was sad enough to find myself actually TYPING OUT words with my hands on the kitchen table as I daydreamed. Very, very sad.

And if you're like me, you'll find that your handwriting has deteriorated to what looks like a drunken ant attempting to explain pythagoras' theory to you in homespun Arabic.

 
At 14 February 2009 at 01:56 , Blogger Terence McDanger said...

Was just going to say the same thing Kath. I went on hoidays and kept a journal of sorts and honest to Jesus, the handwriting has gone heart monitor in the years since I last picked up a pen.

I got a new laptop there recently TMATP. If you only need a basic one for internet access and stuff, go for a Samsung NC10. Cheap, small, does the basics well. Suits me anyway!

 
At 14 February 2009 at 11:55 , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

Me again, Man. I know you're non-compis for a while, but when you're back, I'm tagging you to do a meme on ten things about yourself beginning with the letter S. 'kay?

 
At 18 February 2009 at 16:37 , Blogger eleanor bloom said...

i saw that on the 7.30 report too. not only was the footage amazing, but how simple and inexpensive (shelter cost $3000) it was for him to survive. it was mudbrick with a steel door wasn't it? i've heard of a mudbrick house (and its occupants) surviving too. might be something in that. and in not having large numbers of people near large numbers of trees and scrub; and vice versa.

happy travels to you.

 
At 19 February 2009 at 14:36 , Blogger Cinema Minima said...

Thanks all. The good news is that the trip was postponed due to half the Hunter Valley being underwater. The bad news is that I have to go back this Sunday despite having a friend's wedding to go to and the fact that the forecast says that the valley will also be underwater next week too. Would it be unprofessional to tell our client that I really think it sucks that they expect me to there first thing Monday morning? I don't know about them but I do have a life and Sundays are important. Maybe I'll tell them I'm extremely religious, and don't leave the house on Sundays.

Kath - I'm too scared to try lots of handwriting. Even my notewriting has deteriorated a lot over the past few years (but I am working on your S meme tage thingy, in between drinks).

TMcD - I like the sound of a minimal laptop. THere's one called a Webbook too that supposed to be good. But I like filling up my computer with lots of useless crap like games, so I need MORE POWER and space for crap I never use.

EB - Yup I'm with ya. Shelters/Dugouts are the way to go. Everyone that had one survived, but maybe they need to be mandatory. If you want to live in the bush in a house made of sticks, that's your decision if youre prepared to lose it every 20 years, but have a fire shelter for Pete's sake.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home