Thursday 1 July 2010

...when aunty disappoints


I love the ABC. Partly becasue I'm a big nerd and partly because loud advertisements for new cars, dunny cleaner and pimple cream hurt my brain. And then there's commercial programming...

But there are currently two Australian ABC TV programs that really annoy me (well, they don't truly annoy me because I don't watch them).

The Gruen Transfer
Aside from being a shallow platform for Wil Anderson's dated one-liners, I find this show to be just a bunch of ego-mad advertising executives jerking off about how brilliant, important and influential they think they are. Giving them their own TV show just heightens their delusion.

Q and A
Overrated and overhyped, this 'live' show 'where anything can happen' is anything but. The political guests just spew out the predictable party line like they do at any press conference. The questions from the audience at home and in the studio are prescreened and predictable. This may be necessary to some extent, but for me, it did not live up to it's claims. They get an interesting guest from time to time, but they rarely say anything interesting on the night. The token comedian always looks like a fish out of water.


But I'll forgive Aunty for that.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 1 July 2010 at 15:48 , Blogger Louise Bowers said...

You are spot on. The Gruen Tranfer is a man ponytail w...kfest for people to justify the juvenile playground that has become the advertising industry. And Q&A is the 7:30 report with Twitter...snooze. However QI is a whole different ballgame. We LOVE that.

 
At 1 July 2010 at 16:39 , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

I'll shamefacedly admit to enjoying the Gruen Transfer but admit that Wil is wearing a bit thin....

Q&A, however, is awful. Boring audience 'plants', annoying rambling and unfunny comedians mostly. I'd rather suck a bird turd.

 
At 1 July 2010 at 16:40 , Blogger Cinema Minima said...

I've caught a bit of QI a few times, and I like it, but I obviously haven't watched enough of it to actually undertand what it is.

 
At 1 July 2010 at 21:05 , Blogger River said...

I'd heard the Gruen Transfer was entertaining and funny, so had a look at it. Once. For about 10 minutes. Never again. I've never seen Q and A. I don't watch ABC much at all. I have a lot of dvd's.

 
At 3 July 2010 at 08:34 , Blogger Baino said...

Aw I love Will Anderson so I'll watch anything hes on really. Don't mind either of those shows but since I bought my set top box, I can't get the ABC AND SBS so have to choose one or the other, SBS tends to win. Q & A would be OK without Tony Jones. Pompous prick. And, commercial TV gurus constantly tell us that the volume for their ads is consistant with the programming volume . well that's a load of bollocks

 
At 4 July 2010 at 12:51 , Blogger magical_m said...

I love the ABC. But I loathe Gruen Transfer and whilst I do attempt to watch Q&A each week because I feel I should, they do continually lose me about halfway through because it's so tedious. Oh and last week they lost me because Barnaby Joyce annoyed the crap out of me so badly that I was in danger of punching the TV... my sensible flatmate decided we'd best switch channels.

But Aunty is my preferred channel and has been since I was a tyke running home after school to watch Famous Five, Grange Hill and The Goodies.

I just wish they'd bring back Spooks at a reasonable hour. BBC at it's finest.

 
At 5 July 2010 at 11:10 , Blogger xxx said...

yes wil's a bit of a toss, but i enjoy the show and i don't mind the odd q & a either....
i guess i won't be coming to your place to watch ;)

abc is my fav channel

 
At 14 July 2010 at 23:14 , Blogger Melanie Myers said...

Agree in part about Q&A, but still feel the need to watch it religiously. And it came be a bit same old, same old week to week as the same issues get tooted about week to week. But,sometimes it's great and they have guests who say wise and/or funny things and you feel compelled to talk back to the TV like they can hear you. I love it. The whole twitter thing has lowered the tone of the program considerable, however.

Watching Wil Anderson straight after Adam Hills just highlights how unfunny he is.

 
At 16 July 2010 at 23:34 , Blogger eleanor bloom said...

i agree too. also re QI and spooks. and blakkat's comment re following Hills.

being in the country i tune into House instead of Q&A (flick over in the ads).
united states of tara has been ok last couple of ep.s.

and, does anyone else love weeds? i find all other tv pales by comparison.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home