Monday 20 July 2009

...aunty dot


I've got an Aunty Dot. Actually, she's my great aunty, and she's 94 years young. She's lived in Williamstown all her life. She is Williamstown. She is also a writer.

One of her short stories just got made into a short film. It's a true story she wrote called My Father is a Wonderful Man and it's about a Dutch migrant family in Williamstown circa 1950's. I can't tell you what happens, but it's sad. I can't even tell you where you could see it yet. It's still in post-production, but hopefully I'll be going to the inaugural screening.

It was great that Aunty Dot could advise the production on various elements of the story, because she's pretty old now.

We all love Aunty Dot.

.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 20 July 2009 at 19:13 , Blogger Baino said...

Well big congrats to Aunty Dot bless her cotton socks. Let us know what it's called when you find out.

 
At 20 July 2009 at 19:34 , Blogger Catastrophe Waitress said...

I wish that i had an Aunty Dot.

(nice use of the tiltshift in that shot!)

 
At 21 July 2009 at 16:39 , Blogger elaine said...

I grew up in "willy" (and am back there at the moment.

One of my favourite williamstown books was The Would-be Witch of Williamstown.

Your Aunty Dot sounds like a dead set legend.

 
At 21 July 2009 at 17:09 , Blogger Cinema Minima said...

Baino - Its called 'My Father is a Wonderful Man' and it has some woman from blue heelers starring in it. I'll give more info when I get it.

Ms P - Well spotted. But have you seen www.rollip.com?

Ms Jones - And a fine place for a pirate to be...ye. Love the Willy. If your interested in local history, check out "An Anthology of Aunts-Growing up in Williamstown" by (Aunty Dot) Dorothy Richards. You should find it in the local bookstores.

 
At 21 July 2009 at 18:06 , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

I played tennis with an Aunty Dot and had a lovely lady who lived across the road from us called Dot when I was growing up.

Maybe it's a name we need to start calling our babies again, seeing as they grow up to be such cool old broads?

 
At 22 July 2009 at 17:53 , Blogger Catastrophe Waitress said...

oh i use something similar -
www.poladroid.net

(has a cooler name)

 
At 28 September 2009 at 05:16 , Blogger Unknown said...

'My Father is a Wonderful Man' is a story about my dad! I grew up in Williamstown but now live in London UK. I'd love to come back and see the film but still waiting to hear when the inaugural screening will be!

 
At 9 April 2010 at 10:22 , Blogger Susie said...

I have a copy of this film as it is about my family. It brought tears to my eyes because I was a baby when this happened and nobody ever really talked about. Susie.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home