Wednesday 5 August 2009

...rick amor

This is some of the work of Melbourne artist Rick Amor, and I'm a big fan.

The Ship


Broken Ship


The Runner

He's very much a Melbourne painter, but the underlying themes are universal. Tradgedy, isolation, mythology, iconography, its all there, in a subdued yet brooding way. It's subtle, but theres always something going on, ghosts and seamonsters, stray dogs and lost brides. And he does seascapes, which is great because nobody paints good seascapes anymore.

Entering the City


The Hour


Evening by the Sea


Self Portrait


I kinda wish I was doing stuff like that, but then it wouldn't be my stuff.

But maybe I like it because it is a bit like my stuff? And maybe my stuff is a bit like his stuff because I've always liked his stuff?

Either way, I find it inspirational.

.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 5 August 2009 at 13:00 , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

Show us some of YOUR stuff, then!
Please?

Oh and I mean your artwork, Pub Daddy, not a blurry photograph of your dangle-twang after a night on the turps....

 
At 5 August 2009 at 13:23 , Blogger Cinema Minima said...

Just finishing my first for a while K-licious. I'll put a pic up soon.

And what? I thought everyone liked my blurry dangletwang posts?

 
At 5 August 2009 at 18:14 , Blogger Louise Bowers said...

I like his work, it reminds me a bit or Drysdale.

 
At 6 August 2009 at 00:59 , Blogger Helen said...

Nice, I like the sort of moodiness (sorry, art-uneducated-spent-the-afternoon-trying-to draw-a-tortoise speaking here), particularly the entering the city. And The Hour has a very strong sense of exploring late at night, almost makes me look over my shoulder at the thought!

Thanks for dropping by!

 
At 6 August 2009 at 06:55 , Blogger Baino said...

Really nice stuff. Very bold but a little sad. I agree, you should promote some of yours. Must admit I googled you and went over to Red Bubble. It's great, very Melbourne too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home