Tuesday 29 September 2009

...a bit o' biffo


T'was a time when there was honour in biffo.

Nowadays all honour has gone and in it's place is something insidious. In the 21st century when a man is knocked down it is merely the beginning, and the kicking of heads, stomping of ribs, glassing etc ensues. Gentlemanly restraint has died and in it's place is an unfeeling, unfettered bloodlust. Shame on us men! How did we allow ourselves to sink so low?

Put a thousand young men in a room together, add alcohol and history shows us that before the night is out, blood will be spilled. There is nothing new about that. But the fighting of yonder had a code of conduct. The taboos of fighting were important because they helped prevent serious injury and death, and the odd murder charge.
  • A bloke had to accept a challenge before fighting even began.
  • If he refused, the challenger won the (moral) victory.
  • If he accepted, then an area free of obstacles was found.
  • Weapons were strictly forbidden.
  • Kicking, kneeing, headbutting, punching below the belt and biting were not allowed.
  • The combatants didn't need to be told this, it was just the way things were done.
  • Once a man fell or conceded defeat, he would not be touched again.

To break any one of these taboos was considered 'dirty fighting' and quite despicable. A man was stripped of his honour, shamed and embarrassed in front of his peers. Today, fighting dirty is the norm, thus the brain injuries and deaths we see all too often. Of course not every fight in sepia tone was so 'civilised' (perhaps I'm romanticising all this a tad) and even with such taboos in place, people did suffer serious injuries... even the odd death, but the general incidence of such tragic outcomes was far less than it is today (citation needed - in fact I've really got no idea. I've never seen any stats or anything to back up my claims. I may be completely delusional. But hey, I am a blogger).


I actually don't mind boxing. I'm not interested in watching it, but in an historic and cultural context, it is competition in it's purest and most ancient; a battle of strength, speed and endurance stripped back to it's barest form...a couple of burly blokes in shorts thumping each other, the last man standing the winner. But despite it's primal nature, respecting the rules of the game is as important as having good technique. Perhaps the demise of boxing as socially acceptable recreation has removed the moral guidance and concept of rules in fighting that saved a lot of skulls in the past. Just a theory.

I'm not advocating that young blokes line up to clobber each other in the ring or otherwise, but it's seems some guys will have an urge to fight regardless, and it's probably safer in a controlled environment than doing so at the top of a flight of stairs at 4am after 12 bourbons, 4 Red Bulls, 2 ecstasy pills and 6 hours of sexual frustration with a piece of glass in your hands.




And we should also bring back flogging.... every Friday night 'round at my place ;o)


.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 29 September 2009 at 18:15 , Blogger eleanor bloom said...

ah yeah! "pub daddy, the floggin' blogger."

btw, i agree with entire post and have had such conversations with guys myself. how sad we (very young people!) have to say 'it's not like the good ol' days'.

 
At 29 September 2009 at 18:44 , Blogger Louise Bowers said...

I'm all for flogging personally, public flogging too, never goes out of fashion. Great spectator sport, BYO and fun for all the family.

 
At 29 September 2009 at 21:51 , Blogger Terence McDanger said...

I'd love to flog Natalie Imbruglia's bottom with a limp lettuce leaf.

But I suspect that's just me like.

 
At 30 September 2009 at 05:38 , Blogger Baino said...

Perhaps they get their inspiration from AFL and NRL players.

There's a serious side though, I just think pubs and clubs are open too long and too late and clearly the 'responsible service of alcohol' is a furfy.

 
At 30 September 2009 at 09:55 , Blogger Cinema Minima said...

E Boom - Yes it's all those slightly younger kidses faultses.

LL - Oh aye and the stocks. Imagine tickling someone in the stocks. Priceless!

TMcD - Yes just you...just you and 65% of the world'd population.

Baino - Yes the law that says you cannot serve alcohol to a person who is under the influence of alcohol is kind of bizarre. A rethink is needed, but the big booze companies basically run the country anyway so nothing will happen.

 
At 30 September 2009 at 22:43 , Blogger xxx said...

yeah ha!
your funny :)

thanks for the laugh and a good read

Ribbon

 
At 2 October 2009 at 06:27 , Blogger Rowe said...

There certainly is an escalation of unfair, cowardly fighting to kill going on. I like watching the sport of boxing. If its legal and done with rules and regulations and two men eager to participate, I see nothing wrong with that. Go Danny, go.

 
At 27 February 2010 at 07:59 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good morning ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for that particular model. The prices seeking the sneakers are all over 320 dollars on every site. But finally I set this site selling them for half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what can you say about it?

 
At 4 March 2010 at 19:49 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

 
At 18 March 2010 at 09:08 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello people. I'm really into shoes and I was searching as far as something that singular make. The prices seeking the shoes were around 330 dollars everwhere. But finally I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what can you say about it?

 
At 18 March 2010 at 10:05 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good afternoon ppl. I'm really into shoes and I was looking allowing for regarding that meticulous brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots were around 300 dollars on every page. But finally I found this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order these. what is your opinion?

 
At 18 March 2010 at 14:12 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good afternoon people. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been searching for that exact make. The prices seeking the boots were around 190 dollars on every page. But completely I found this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what do you think?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home