Friday 20 November 2009

...it's a girl!

After deciding we would keep it a surprise, we changed our minds at this morning's 19 week ultrasound. Q was sure it would be a boy, but I'd been informed by my big sister that every mother thinks it will be a boy as they are preparing for the worst because they secretly all want a girl. And statistically, it 'should' be a boy because most of our parent friends already have girls.

So namewise Q likes...
  • Vivien (or Vyvienne or something, but no-can-do. The kid is going to be a Richards, and I can't bring myself to naming my first-born daughter after a famous, 7ft, West Indian fast bowler. Q doesn't care but my mates will never let me forget it)
  • Alba. Mother-in-law suggestion (*shudders)
  • Violet (I quite like this one)
  • Daisy (why do flowers make nice names?)
  • Emmaline (nice too)
  • Clementine (ok)
I like...
  • Lorna (old-school but awesome. Strong, but lyrical. And yes Ms. Lino, I can say it is in your honour if you like).
  • Phoebe (but Q had a beloved childhood dog of the same name, but that shouldn't matter...right? Apparently it does)
  • I like spacey names, like Astrid and Celeste too
More suggestions please. I can't guarantee we'll like any of them, but the more choice the better.

.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 20 November 2009 at 17:18 , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

A girl, yay!!!! Thanks for sharing the news with us, Pub Man! And hey, now you'll only have to read through half of the baby names book.

Agree with you re Viv Richards - there'd be a lot of women out there who'd make that connection too.

Violet - yes
Daisy - no, more suited to a cow methinks
Emmaline will just get shortened to 'Emma' and they're a dime a dozen

Agree with Q re Phoebe, which is why we couldn't call our beloved Sapphire (real name(s) Carly Rose) 'Tess', because our old deceased blue heeler had been given it under the mistaken belief that I wasn't able to have a baby....

Amanda?
Rose?
Juliet?
Selene?

Like Astrid and Celeste too - they'll go far in life with names like that.

 
At 20 November 2009 at 17:36 , Blogger Louise Bowers said...

My only suggestion would be to stay clear of using fruit for names, although quite favoured by our celebrity friends, anything ending in 'boo' is of major concern and using days of the week really only worked for the Addams family. Kathleen is one of my favourite names, my mother's and very Irish of course, but Lorna would guarantee fabulousness.

 
At 24 November 2009 at 10:04 , Blogger kiki said...

congratulations. although my joy is tempered by your naming Viv Richards as a fast bowler

viv richards is a batsmen
and he's only 5ft10

 
At 24 November 2009 at 12:50 , Blogger Cinema Minima said...

Woops! Sorry Kiki, and the universe. But why let facts get in the way of blogging?

 
At 24 November 2009 at 14:32 , Blogger Baino said...

It took me ages to pick a name for my son but always wanted Clare as my daughter's name. Whatever you choose, spell it simply, I can't tell you how many Ashleigh, Ashley, Ashlee combos there are. Celeste is nice. Can't imagine how that would be shortened.

 
At 24 November 2009 at 16:32 , Blogger killerrabbit said...

Yipee girls are cool. You have some great girl names there, I also loved the flower names and had Lilly and Poppy on our shortlist. Lilly is super common now though and that put us off it.

Whatever you call your little one don't worry so much about what they will call her in primary school, it is only 6 years after all.

 
At 25 November 2009 at 11:15 , Anonymous Lynne said...

A girl. How wonderful. A special name for me is Asta (not Aster, the flower or Astor, the TV) - the name of a beloved aunt.

Have fun choosing, and remember there will always be someone who doesn't like your choice.

 
At 12 December 2009 at 11:46 , Blogger xxx said...

Congratulations!

wishing you a happy and healthy baby girl no matter what the name.

 
At 15 December 2009 at 22:39 , Blogger magical_m said...

Oooh yay! You can be so much more creative with girls' names... just make sure you test out every possible angle - otherwise you might end up with a Sunday Roast (Kidman) or Piloh Shitt (Shiloh Pitt). At least you're already onto that with Vivien.

For my money, I have to say I particularly like Clementine - its always been on my list. I also like Phoebe. And Edie. Although that's quite popular at the moment. And all the flower names... Violet, Daisy, Rose and Blossom (although that bad 80s TV show might still be remembered by some people).

Anyway, good luck narrowing down the list!

 
At 16 December 2009 at 08:42 , Blogger Rowe said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6 February 2010 at 18:06 , Blogger eleanor bloom said...

Congrats! (a little belatedly, but what the hey)

I think Aster is a nice flower name. Other than Bloom of course. Or, another nice name, Eleanor.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home