Friday 23 October 2009

...facebook and the holocaust

I've been deliberately steering clear of controversy in this new blog incarnation. There's far too much of it out there anyway, and its overrated. But it's Friday afternoon and I am not in my usual devil-may-care frame of mind for this time of the week. I blame my colleagues.

Firstly, with hindsight I realise that posting the news of my impending fatherhood on Facebook was not a good idea. While we had recently told the 'inner circle', it seems there are many long lost friends and Aunties who are offended that they were not at the top of the notification list. My defence, "Well they're going to find out anyway, and probably not by us because news like this travels fast and it was only a matter of time before someone else mentioned it. And think of all the money we've saved on phone calls. People are now calling us saying WTF?."

The defence is weak, and I have one paw in the doghouse. I blame technology.



Also, on a vastly unrelated note, why do we give Holocaust deniers so much publicity? If someone doesn't believe in the Holocaust they should be allowed to. If someone wants to believe that WW2 never happened, why stop them? If you want to believe in Santa Claus, be my guest. Obsessing and protesting over Holocaust denial is just giving the deniers the publicity they need to sell their books. Just ignore them, and they will disappear.


Happy Bloody Friday!
.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 23 October 2009 at 23:40 , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

Put it this way Mr Pub - you will ALWAYS, no matter what you do - offend someone. Somewhere. Someplace, over some little thing; technology or no.

Agree with you re the HD crowd too. Maybe they should all board a submarine on Loch Ness - along with Elvis, Creationists, Big Foot and Nessie - and look for underwater crop circles.

Hope your weekend is cheerier than your Friday.

 
At 24 October 2009 at 04:00 , Anonymous Andrew Pass said...

I'm not sure how your two comments relate and congratulations on your upcoming fatherhood.

But, I'd argue that realists, meaning in this case those who do know that the Holocaust occurred, have a responsibility to help young people learn to refute the revisionist claim. I have actually developed a Google Earth curriculum unit on the Holocaust in which students develop multi-media presentations to refute their fallacious claim.

Andrew Pass
http://www.pass-ed.com/ConsideringtheRealitiesoftheHolocaust.html

 
At 26 October 2009 at 09:47 , Blogger elaine said...

oh and I agree with Kath. People get pissed off anyway. Just ignore 'em to the best of your ability and do life the man at the pub way.

 
At 26 October 2009 at 12:28 , Blogger Cinema Minima said...

KL - Teehee! A great idea. And yes, my weekend was better than my Friday (though Monday is as craptacular as usual):o(

Andrew - Welcome to my little blog. I acknowledged that my two comments are “vastly” unrelated in my post. I can be a scatterbrain sometimes.

By all means, refute the revisionist claim, but I think that fighting it is counter productive. I’d argue that protesting in the streets and clashes with Holocaust deniers simply draws attention to the revisionists, who use their notoriety, born of the media’s desire to fan the flames of controversy, to make the headlines and sell their books. There will always be crackpots, be thankful that in this case they are the vast minority. If we ignore them, they disappear from the arena of public discourse.

But surely we must accept everyone’s right to believe whatever they want, no matter how loopy, no matter how offensive it may be to us. I don’t believe in God and I’m quite passionate about that, but I’ll defend anyone’s right to believe in Him/Her. Unconditional freedom of thought is a fundamental tenet of the concept of “free” society, no “ifs”, no “buts”.

Ms Lilo - Sorry Lorna. You'll have to start buying people presents now.

Elaine - Any pirate worth her salt believes the Earth is flat! Surely you've sailed over the edge once or twice, perhaps after a few rums?

 
At 26 October 2009 at 19:05 , Blogger killerrabbit said...

Its funny how easy it is to offend when pregnancy is involved. One of my aunts hasn't spoken to for a year and a half because I told my grandmother I was pregnant first. Crazy family members just can't be tamed.

 
At 26 January 2010 at 12:59 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home