Wednesday 21 October 2009

...doolittle

The fact that its been 20 years since Pixies released their seminal album Doolittle makes me feel a tad old. Not that I was listening to Pixies in 1989, I discovered them a few years later.

I think they are well described as 'musician's musicians, achieving success through their enormous influence rather than mainstream popularity. As a teenager learning guitar, they absolutely stunned in their ability to demonstrate what is possible. Double octave bends, harmonic distortion, fantastically oddball beats, Black Francis' cockatoo-like vocals mollified by Kim's sexysweet vocals, all with a zesty latino hint, all in kooky 2-3 minute parcels of audio bliss. They are my favourite surfer/latino/surrealist/punk/space/pop band. An acquired taste but to this day, I can't ask for more.

I just got tickets to their Melbourne gig next March, and I just heard they are releasing a studio album after 19 years. Woohoot!

Here's a clip from their follow up album Bossanova. Aren't they cute! All fresh faced and optimistic. Nowadays they look overweight and bit hagged... a lot like me. The sound on the following vid is a bit awful. This is in fact the only 'official' filmclip the Pixies ever made, a 20 second clip of the band running through a quarry slowed down. It was always about the music.


hold my head
we'll trampoline
finally through the roof
on to somewhere near
and far in time
velouria

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 21 October 2009 at 12:03 , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

Oh I remember that song!

Never knew who sang it though (hastily ducks to avoid anything that Pub Man is going to throw at her)... and promise to surf itunes for some of *their* tunes.

 
At 21 October 2009 at 20:05 , Blogger Baino said...

I'm a great fan of alternative music but sadly admit that I only even heard of the Pixies about five years ago when a friend did a 'cover' of "Where is My Mind" I love that song. Enjoy the gig.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home